Wednesday 11 June 2014

Shai - My Muse, My Hula Sista, My Friend

In loving memory


March 5, 1982 - June 1, 2014

This entry is dedicated to my beautiful friend Shilo Marie Bernardino-Tupaz

It's funny that I am writing on Blogspot. My friend Shai has kept a blog on here for many years and continued to write about her every day life and her many adventures. Now I write about her.

Shilo


Shilo was born in Bantagas, Philippines on March 5, 1982 to Aaron and Julita Bernardino. She was oldest of 4 children. At the age of 10 she moved to Toronto, Canada. Shai was a responsible older sister; taking care of younger siblings as a teenager due to her parents' busy schedules.

At age 18, she was approached in a shopping mall from a modelling agency. From there Shai continued to model around the world.  At age 21, Shai fell in love with her best friend Armin Tupaz she met while attending Ryerson University. Their serendipitous relationship blossomed and she married him at the age of 30.


I met Shai in 2007.  I had cast her in a photo shoot I was doing for my friend's clothing line from a website called Model Mayhem. I first cast Shai because I loved her look. She could pull off different ethnicities and different genres of style.  She was beautiful and tall and I had to have her part of my portfolio.
From modelmayhem her online porfolio
She was one of the most professional glamazon's I have ever met.  The photographer even commented how well she moved in front of the camera.
My very first photoshoot with Shai
Make up artistry is very personal. To oneself,  it is a ritual, a pick me up, sometimes a boost of self-confidence. When applying make up, trust must be gained; you are in your client's personal space. You see all their flaws, and touch their face. The client expects you to bring out their best features and have a completed look.

Shai then asked me to do another shoot with her to build her portfolio. After the shoot we decided to go to lunch. We chatted and instantly bonded over other models, the fashion industry, hello kitty, and the vacations we have taken or wanted to take. It was actually right before I was leaving on my first vacation to Hawaii.  I was super excited because I was already taking Hula at my Halau Spirit of Aloha.  I told her how fun hula and beautiful the dance and culture is. I totally convinced her to sign up in September.
Shai's very first hula ho'ike for Spirit of Aloha
Shai moved on to a different halau, Hula San Village, but our friendship remained.  Creative minds think a like, and we always jumped at each other's chances to work together.

Fixing her outfit behind the scenes

Years later, she told me she was engaged and asked me to take care of her girls and make sure they look pretty for her wedding. I was honoured and also nervous. My wedding clients, have only just been just clients. Never friends. She told me that she was mainly hiring people based on their personalities and of course talent.

At Shai's bridal shower
A really bad picture of me and her beautiful bridesmaids (What's up with my hair though?)
Touching up Shai on her wedding day before she goes takes her wedding pictures

Meeting Team S.M.A.R.T (her acronym for the bridal party based on Shai & Armin's combined names!) was a blast. You can tell the type of people and energy Shai surrounds herself with. These people are also a reflection Shai's own aura. From meeting Team S.M.A.R.T, friendships have also developed who I fondly think of.

Being a big foodie, she even came out and supported me when I was Lead Coordinator for KULTURA - Filipino Arts Festival Adobo Masters Cook-Off.


Backstage chaos at Canada Philippine Fashion Week  c/o D.Fundano Photography
The last time I saw Shai, it was exactly around this time last year. I was working for Kapisanan - a not for profit organization who delivers arts based programming for youth by youth through Filipino arts and culture. At the time, there were whisperings about the very first Canada Philippine Fashion Week. Of course I wanted Shai to be a part of it - especially the opening night party where Kapisanan's Filipinana fashion line, Vinta was going to be revealed.


Our very last shoot together with my favourite flower


Although Shai's life has been cut short, it was full of passion. She led a full life. Her wunderlust took her to the corners of the earth, her adventurous spirit enabled her to accumulate one in a lifetime experiences, her determination made her successful and her charisma connected many meaningful friendships and touched many lives. To me, she was just simply beautiful.

When she moved to South Africa to do the modelling thing

I believe in serendipity now because of her.  I know she is up there looking out for all her friends and family.
Shai's last instagram

**************
More work with Shai

Werk




She loved this because of the hat
Her

1 comment:

  1. i miss you Shai. i always will. i will miss your beautiful smile and your love for food, fashion, Hello Kitty and life. See you in my dreams.
    R.I.P. Shilo Marie Bernardino-Tupaz

    ReplyDelete